Day 12: Conclusions
Lesson objectives:
- Review the major elements learned thus far.
- Discuss strategies for conclusions
- Provide in-class time to work on conclusions.
Announcements/Tasks
Let's please take a few minutes to clean our folders. We will create four folders for the four units of the course. Please put your files into the correct folder and label them correctly so I can find things.
Part I: Thesis/ Claims Peer Review (15 min) 9:00-9:15
To begin today's lecture, I would like to show you an example of a good outline. We will discuss the components that make it strong. click on STUDENT OUTLINE SAMPLE or follow along on the big screen.
Now, pull up your diagnostic essays. I will give you about 5-10 minutes to orally share your outlines and provide feedback in pairs or groups of three. Consider the following questions
- Does the thesis answer the prompt question?
- Is the thesis debatable and clear?
- Do the topic sentence support the thesis?
Part III: Major Components to a Conclusion (20-30 min) 9:15-9:35
Small Group Questions:
- What should a conclusion do?
- Can you list some strategies you can use to achieve that?
- What should a conclusion not do?
Please follow along as we go through this a power point to discuss some main strategies to writing a solid conclusion.
Materials to download:
Announcements/Tasks
Time Permitting....
Part IV: Workshop Conclusions on Diagnostic (15-20 min) 9:35-9:50
I will circulate to provide assistance. If you have particular concerns, highlight that area in yellow so that I will read that first.
Homework: Start working on Writer's Help Assignments. I will be checking to see that you have completed at least two.
Lesson Materials
----------------------------------
Supplemental Parts:
Conclusions Handout
Teacher Handout/Study Guide
Review (10-15 min) 8:00-8:10
Give students "quiz game" on materials covered in the last two weeks. I will provide the materials for this in hard copy.
TEACHER ONLY: Warm Up Activity: Quiz Game
Part IV: Conclusion Writing Practice (25 min) 8:55-9:20
download PRACTICE CONCLUSION WRITING WORKSHEET.
download PRACTICE CONCLUSION WRITING WORKSHEET.
No comments:
Post a Comment