Day 16: Avoiding Plagiarism II & APA Citations
Lesson Objectives:- Understand concept of what is common knowledge and when citations are needed.
Learn to identify three key reasons to use quotations - Understand basics to APA Citation and learn where to go for future citation questions.
[10 min] Part II: When do I need to Cite? What is common knowledge?
So far, we have discussed that citations are needed for Summarizing, Paraphrasing, and Quoting. Today, we will review/address concept of common knowledge and citations and then practice with a Handout On Common Knowledge and Citation.
[20 min] Citation Styles: What's my style!? :)So far, we have discussed that citations are needed for Summarizing, Paraphrasing, and Quoting. Today, we will review/address concept of common knowledge and citations and then practice with a Handout On Common Knowledge and Citation.
CITATION PPT Click on this CITATION STYLE HANDOUT to access the materials for this part of class. We do not go into detail on APA citations, but I will cover the basics if we have time. Access to citation reference materials is found within this document.
[10 min] Citation Machines
on the bottom of the CITATION STYLE HANDOUT you will see a reference list of different type of citation software. For this part of class, I will show you how Microsoft Word can create a reference page for you and store your sources for future use (Other software does this as well).
Homework: Check the course syllabus
Lesson Materials:
Handout On Common Knowledge and Citation. (This is from Writer's Help Online)
CITATION PPT
CITATION STYLE HANDOUT
-------------------------------------------------------
Upcoming Lesson
[30 min] Part IV: APA Activity/Lecture
Know where to find the answers! Use Owl Purdue or other resources to answer your citation questions. APA is not a writing "skill" that I teach you, it is something that you should look up when you have questions on citations and formatting. To begin on this topic, I will put you in groups of 3-4 and have you complete this EXERCISE. Then, we will go over the answers and look at some major elements of APA in this PPT APA PRESENTATION.
[30 min] Part IV: APA Activity/Lecture
Know where to find the answers! Use Owl Purdue or other resources to answer your citation questions. APA is not a writing "skill" that I teach you, it is something that you should look up when you have questions on citations and formatting. To begin on this topic, I will put you in groups of 3-4 and have you complete this EXERCISE. Then, we will go over the answers and look at some major elements of APA in this PPT APA PRESENTATION.
No comments:
Post a Comment